Forums Cultivating Truffles Tree Spacing

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Fabrice Caporal
      Keymaster

We have planted our Oak trees (mostly Q. robur) 18 feet apart in rows 18 feet wide. The trees are staggered in a triangular pattern. We chose that pattern as we are raising T. melanosporum and wanted to avoid to have the canopy close too early.

The only drawback with 18 feet rows is that they can’t be cut in one pass, making the maintenance a little more labor intensive as it could be with a smaller spacing.

My understanding is that most of you have chosen a denser pattern. How is it working for you? What made you decide on that pattern?

Simon Cartwright
        Participant
          Up
          Down
          ::

We’re on a 20’x 10′ for a combo of 2 to 1 filbert to oak. This puts the oak at 30′ for eventual mature canopies. Australians seem to prefer a 6x8m spacing. Hope that helps.

Charlotte Muia
          Participant
            Up
            Down

I was wondering if anyone has planted European hazelnut trees in a hedgerow fashion with the trees kept as shrubs.  Would the roots be too crowded or harder to find truffle ?  It was tried some years ago with olive trees in Italy.  They were trying for maximum production in less space.  We have a small olive grove (87 trees) planted 16×18.  Thank  you…Charlotte- Carmel Valley,CA

Fabrice Caporal
              Keymaster
                Up
                Down

I would think that it would depend on the truffle species. My understanding is that for T. melanosporum requires an open canopy. Other truffle species can handle closed canopy but I would not mix the truffle species in the same orchard.

We have decided to actually plant hedges around the orchard which will use a mixture of shrub, trees and hazelnuts. We may get some production there but we are not counting on it and since the hedge is running east to west, the base of the trees will be exposed to the south … We will need several year to see what happens.

Fran Angerer
              Participant
                Up
                Down

A grower in Idaho has planted trees in close proximity that resemble hedgerows. The density of the growth makes harvesting with dogs very difficult.

T.Mel requires open canopy so it is not recommended.

Viewing 3 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.