Fran Angerer
      Participant

Tractor Rake

Fabrice Caporal
        Keymaster
          Up
          Down
          ::

Francis, what is the most use you have of the rake around the orchard? I have been wondering if I needed one…

Fran Angerer
          Participant
            Up
            Down

I am using it to clear rocks from the new planting area and it saved a lot of back breaking labor. I have a good video of it in use if I could post it working.

Karen Passafaro
            Participant
              Up
              Down

very cool!  I do have a lot of rocks that I need to ‘harvest’ after the power harrow went through the orchard.   I am wondering if I could get one to attach to my ATV to minimize the weight?

Elise Baker
              Participant
                Up
                Down

Hi Fran,

That seems like a big tractor. How many acres do you have planted and does it feel like the right size? I’m going to start with 5 acres and add plantings every year until I run out of space/money. We are scheduled to close on our property in October and a tractor and implements are the first thing on the list.

Fabrice Caporal
                  Keymaster
                    Up
                    Down

Elise, tractor size is important to consider. When using earth engaging implements it is important to have a bigger tractor as it allows you to use wider implements saving you time and trips up and down the rows. However you also have to consider weight. Compaction is your enemy in the truffière so you need to make sure you are using the proper tires, that you limit the use of the tractor as much as you can. One of the use of the tractor could be for mowing, but this year I found that using a zero turn mower to be a significant improvement because of its maneuverability and its light weight. Please view my tractor post in the Equipment Q&A forum and be on the lookout for a zero turn mower review shortly.

Also, consider getting your tractor used. Unlike car you assess the age of a tractor by its hours of use, rather than by its model year. You can find older tractor with few hours for a good discount on Craig’s list.

Viewing 4 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.