Forums Cultivating Truffles New Orchard Soil Prep

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      David LeRoux
      Participant

Hello NATGA,

We are planning our first 1 acre truffle orchard in Virginia 7a. We’re in the process of learning how to best prepare the plot. The spot we’ve identified currently hosts 4 year old shrub pine and tulip poplar. We plan to remove the trees, but we have questions about the existing roots systems.

1. How clean of residual roots should the plot be?
        2. Should we remove all roots from every tree that every existed in the 1 acre plot?
        3. Can we leave deep roots, and remove the surface roots?
        4. Does all the soil need either to be screened or tilled (or both)? If so, the what depth?

Thank you for your advice and assistance.

David LeRoux & Family

Fabrice Caporal
        Keymaster
          Up
          Down
          ::

Poplar and pine are both ectomycorrhizal species (see Type of Mycorrhisal Plants), so your soil will be naturally be rich in such fungus. You want to take actions to reduce the competitive pressure in favor of the truffle. My understanding is that in this situation you should try to remove as much as possible the existing roots, treat with lime to adjust your pH (if necessary) and let it rest for a while. Soil work should be to break any existing compaction pan fluff it up as much as you can without destroying the soil structure (no roto tilling).

I hope this helps. Good luck.

Nyall Cook
          Participant
            Up
            Down

I am in the process of prepping about two acres as well (New Jersey). Why do you suggest no roto tilling? How would one remove exiting roots without destroying soil structure?

thank you,

Fabrice Caporal
            Keymaster
              Up
              Down

To have a soft soil you need a well structured soil and rototilling pulverized the soil structure. The pulverized soil may appear soft at first but at first rain it will reaggregate into a solid uniform hard pan with very little interstitial space for micro-ecology, aire and water. Organic mater and carful care of your soil structure are your best friends for a soft soil. I recommend doing a bit of web search about the importance of soil structure and the difference between soil structure and soil texture.

Hope this helps.

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.